Media Center Websites
That Work!
Not so very long ago, I found myself, as a classroom teacher, needing resources, for an upcoming unit on the holocaust and The Diary of Anne Frank. Having a limited amount of time left in my planning period that day, I decided to take a look at the media center website for my school to peruse for resources I might make use of during the unit. I –finally- located the web link on an obscure tab of our school’s home page. When I arrived at the site I was shocked at the simplicity of the design… no eye catching colors, no upcoming events, nothing really of much interest there except a link to the OPAC. Now my question is this… If I as a future media specialist found this website lackluster and dull, what did all the other staff and students think of it? I knew in that instance when I became a media specialist, I wanted to develop a website that would be well-loved and used frequently.
According to Odin L. Jurkowski, 90% of school librarians maintain websites. Of all these websites, how many of these are as lackluster as my school's was and how many were perfect examples of what I should do?
David Warlick, who is an independent consultant living in Raleigh, N.C., wrote in his article Building Websites That Work for Your Media Center that the top five daily activities of Internet users are:
1.) Getting the news
2.) Researching as part of a job
3.) Looking for information on a hobby or interest
4.) Answering a question
5.) Researching a product or service for purchase
In planning and constructing a webpage, it is important to remember that the look and design are only a part of its success. The website needs to assist you, as the media specialist, in serving all the stakeholders in the most efficient and successful way possible.
Five Things to Keep in Mind as You Begin to Develop a Media Center Website: Remember the main goal of the LMC is to provide valuable information to teachers and students.
- Identify the problems and barriers that prevent students and teachers from making the beat use of the media center (underutilized books or resources, teachers who are not making use of the library even with flexible scheduling, etc.)
- Keep ALL members of your audience in mind. Not only are teachers and students part of a media center audience but administrators, parents, and community members are as well!
- If you want new investments in media technologies, have a “Dream Media Center” section where you describe all the services that could be offered if these technologies were provided in the future.
- If the cost of webpage development is an issue, then there are some free web editors such as Mozilla Monkey or Nvu. You may also choose to use course-management software such as Moodle or create a wiki.
In Short…..The Process of Developing and Establishing a Media Center Website
1. Find out your school’s district requirements and processes.
2. Choose a Web Editor
3. Get file space on the server
4. Set up the technical procedures.
5. Decide what you want to include on your site and begin gathering information.
6. Design the site- organization, number of pages, how they will connect, etc.
7. Ask colleagues, students, and friends to test run the site looking for anything that is difficult
to understand. Ask for feedback.
Things to Remember about the
Design of the Web Page
- Writing is not the only way to communicate on a web site! Add images, animation, sound, music, and video to communicate information.
- Use graphs to convey complex data
- Make your information scannable… People do not come to the internet to read… they come to learn, answer a question, or solve a problem and quick access to information will keep patrons returning.
- Indent the content to make headings and subheadings easier to scan.
- Keep paragraphs short.
- Bullet lists of information
- Display different types of information in different fonts.
- Don’t overwhelm younger children with large, complex websites.
- Don’t choose a color scheme because its pretty- make sure you can read from the colors too!
· Make sure the webpage is prominently linked on the
school web page and teacher web pages.
school web page and teacher web pages.
· Feature the URL on any handouts that go home from the
library, on any business cards, and mention it on your
voice mail.
library, on any business cards, and mention it on your
voice mail.
The basics: school name, mailing address, library phone number, name of media specialist, hours of operation, date the website was last updated.
Website features: Library news, media center handbook, calendar, OPAC, What’s New!, Upcoming Events, Parent Section with Parent Volunteer Information, Reading Lists, Virtual Library Tour Video, Let’s Share Our Ideas!,
Links I Might Have: Weather, Fun Sites, On-line Databases, Book Reviews, Teacher Web Pages or Class Wiki
I personally think a blog or a wiki cannot beat a well-developed media center website! I think this is a format that all patrons are familiar with and will keep returning to as long as it is not only functional but also creative and fun!




I think you will have a great website for your media center because your post is so interesting and your research is obvious. What you have written gave me a lot of food for thought. I was a little surprised to hear that 90% of schools have media center websites - I thought that percentage was a little optimistic. I think all media specialists would have websites if time was allowed for that and it was encouraged by the schools. However, it seems that websites for media centers becomes a lower priority because of other demands. It's such a good public relations feature that I hope to make time for website creation when/if I get a media specialist job.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that a blog or wiki cannot beat a good website. It is easier to find the information that is most important on a website, and as you say, is more familiar to the patrons. While a blog or wiki could be a feature, I personally don't like either of these as the sole media center website.
We had to research the media web pages in our districts for my Admin. class last semester and I was floored by how dull and unimaginative they were! Most had only a small amount of information and it was aimed at adults even for the primary and elementary schools. When you consider the fact that we live in a computer literate world and most of us use computers daily to communicate, it seems odd that media specialists are not doing a better job of utilizing their web pages. Media centers have become the hub of technology in our schools. If we want to communicate with our shareholders, why aren't we designing productive web sites?
ReplyDeleteYour piece was very informative and I like the new look for our blog page. I loved the other one as well, but it was hard to read the comments. Thanks for your work on it.
Websites are a lot fun to build, but hard to maintain if you have a lot of changing information on them. I was developing websites in the late 90's and early 2000's (using Microsoft Front Page) for my 5th grade classes, but I ran out of time and patience with them. I do have a webpage for my classes at school, but have not had the time that they require to keep them current. I admire anyone who has the time to devote to doing one and maintaining it. I'm thinking of volunteering to maintain some for my Grand-children's schools when I retire from teaching.
ReplyDeleteI suppose that brings me to conclude that the best website from my point of view is one where I can get other people involved with maintaining parts for which they are specifically interested. That's why I think that a wiki as a part of the website might be the best way to go. There are some parts of a website that don't require daily or weekly changes. Those I would do. However, there is lots of information that does change quickly for which I would not want to be the maintainer (school calendar, special programs, etc). It would be great to have book reviews and podcasts provided by the students and I would assist in maintaining them. But wouldn't it be nice to train the teachers and students to do this?
I did look at Buffy Hamilton's (the Unquiet Librarian) website (Creekview High School) and I liked what she had done with the pathfinders and Netvibes. She also used Google sites for her webpage. I would be interested in knowing how much time she takes to maintain it.
Personally, I want to take my sisters advice. "As soon as you have learned your job, train someone else to do it, so that you can move up or along to the next area of interest." I think that is how I will work my library. I will develop areas that meet the needs of the students and teachers (and other stakeholders), but will insist on others assisting in the maintenance of their area of interest.
Good job on the blog :)
As I looked at the various media center websites for schools in my county, I was dismayed to see that most of them were not very good. They had VERY basic information. However, I know how easy it is to criticize something that you have never had to do yourself. The media specialist's shoes are not ones that I have yet walked in... something I have to remind myself of frequently. There are so many demands on media specialists that finding time to keep a webpage maintained and current can be very over-whelming. I don't know the answer on how this can be done. I am intrigued by Has' comment that he will get others to maintain the webpage. Employing the help of others might be what is needed to make this task manageable.
ReplyDeleteI agree that you need to include other things besides just text. Make the webpage interesting and exciting to the reader. You don't want it to be too "busy", but you don't want it to be boring either. It would be a great idea to take a survey of what others in your school think about the media center webpage. Comments could be extremely helpful in determining what needs to be added, edited, etc. Thank you for your list of "must haves" for a media center website. You included some things that I had not originally thought of such as a virtual library tour and links to teacher webpages and the weather. It is exciting to think about all the awesome things you could do to make your media center webpage a great resource for your patrons!
I agree with your comment that a well developed web page can not be beat. Mostly because this is the format that most people are use to. I do hope to be able to include some sort of blog with my web page, but not have that be the main format for my web page. I loved the "Unquiet Library" page, but to the not so tech savy I think the page could be a little intimidating. I think it would be cool to embed some of the web 2.0 features in a more traditional web page format.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Has comments I think it is a great idea to get things running well and then train others to help keep things running smoothly. I think that you would have to be very careful to watch over the other peoples work to maintain the consistancy of quality you expect. I am sort of a control freak so this would be very hard for me.
I loved you list of things to include on the web page and things to remember. I think these will be very helpful as we begin to create our own web pages for our class project and one day for our own media centers.
During my exploration of WebPages for the media center, I found the quality of the webpages in general to range from being awe-inspiring to being fairly mediocre. I believe that it takes a great deal of time to create a well functioning webpage. Creating my webpage will be done in stages, which is recommended since this is a big task to complete. It will be wise to remember information on the webpage can be added or deleted as needed.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete